Harmony For All
AAH offers a selection of harmony options for the budding harmoniser - some are regular and others occasional. Have a browse through course options, one-off workshops and individual tuition. Harmony singing may be on hold in a live context, but skills development shall persevere at home!
Join Naomi Crellin, Musical Director and alto of Australia’s ARIA award-winning vocal group The Idea of North, and a team of expert tutors as they share their wealth and breadth of knowledge in all aspects of harmony singing.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Learn the art of small group performance - from theory and aural training through to part-holding, balance, blend, and small group stagecraft.
Throughout the year you will be matched up into your own vocal groups (Pentatonix, eat your heart out) and experience the satisfaction of singing with like-minded individuals in a fun, supportive and educational environment.
At this stage, classes are for adults only. Two ability levels (intermediate and advanced) are catered for.
RED suitable for:
• Soloists who are looking to gain harmony singing skills to be able to sing confidently with others
• Choristers wanting to increase their ability to hold a part alone
• Instrumentalists looking for an extension to their musical experience
BLUE suitable for:
• Singers with a higher level harmony singing experience
• Choristers who are finding their choir a little on the easy side and are ready for a challenge
• Small groups looking for an environment within which to improve and polish their skills
Harmony assessments are usually held during week one's class at the beginning of each term for all incoming AAH members. At this stage, while online, harmony assessments have been suspended until face-to-face learning resumes. Placements will then be decided for that term into Red or Blue streams.
Harmony assessments involve 2-3 short harmony exercises taught by ear on the day, a vocal range assessment, and a solo excerpt of your choice, sung a cappella. Assessments will take place in small groups of 3-5 singers.